Here are some thing about Hemp that we may or may not know already, always good to learn/refresh!
THE ECO STUFF
- Hemp is a plant! (This is not a 'duh' statement, many people actually don't know).
- Grows quickly in any conditions i.e. sustainable!
- Little chemicals are required to grow hemp (vs. cotton requiring pesticides)
- Biodegradable fibres so once they reach the end of their life (after many many kids) they can decompose in the right conditions.
- Hemp gives back to the soil by replenishing it with nutrients.
- All natural, meaning you can place it directly against baby's bum.
- Highly absorbent and holds approx. 2.5x more than microfibre. Great for longer naps or overnight when paired with other inserts/prefolds/flats.
- Durable! Much stronger fibres meaning it handles acidic urine well (bamboo not so much).
- Antifungal and antibacterial.
- Hemp shrinks quite a bit on the first wash
- Hemp inserts are usually blended with cotton to make 55% hemp/45% cotton.
- They go stiff over time but can be popped in the dryer to soften up.
- Slower rate of absorbing fluids so it is usually paired UNDERNEATH microfibre or bamboo inserts.
NICE TO KNOW
- Hemp plant belongs to the Cannabis family so is often confused with marijuana plant, but they are totally different (don't want to go into the nitty gritty details but let's just say they're SAFE!)